Is Client 6.3 Compatible With Retrospect 6.1?

Hello.

I need some help with Retrospect 6.1.

My parents recently bought a new iMac running 10.7.2 Lion. From what I've read on the Lion compatibility page, it requires client version 6.3.

The system that I'm using as a host is a Power Mac G4 running 10.4.11 and Retrospect 6.1.230.

My question is, can I install the 6.3 client on the Lion iMac and backup from it using Retrospect 6.1?

I already have Retrospect 8. Unfortunately, Retrospect 8 has different requirements for the engine, console and clients. I'm OK with the clients, but both the engine and console would require me to upgrade to at least 10.5.7; and, the console also requires me to upgrade to an Intel Mac.

I'm using my current host system to backup other Macs and would like to keep from changing things around so that my parents new iMac is the host system.

Can I use my Retrospect 6.1 with a 6.3 Client?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Like 1

My parents recently bought a new iMac running 10.7.2 Lion. From what I've read on the Lion compatibility page, it requires client version 6.3.

The system that I'm using as a host is a Power Mac G4 running 10.4.11 and Retrospect 6.1.230.

My question is, can I install the 6.3 client on the Lion iMac and backup from it using Retrospect 6.1?

While the 6.3 client will probably be OK, Retro 6.1 is not a supported configuration for backups of Snow Leopard or Lion machines. While you may be able to back up text and similar data files, you should not make any attempt to back up any system or application files. Not only does Retro 6.1 not understand and will not be able to restore these files, some users have reported that some of these files have been hosed simply in the process of being accessed by Retro 6.1 during a backup.

The word here is definitely to proceed with caution, limit your backup attempts to user data files only, and test your ability to restore these data files correctly. Under this configuration, I would attempt making your restores only to a new folder and not use the option to replace corresponding files.

You may have success under these limitations, but don't be surprised if you do not.

While the 6.3 client will probably be OK, Retro 6.1 is not a supported configuration for backups of Snow Leopard or Lion machines. While you may be able to back up text and similar data files, you should not make any attempt to back up any system or application files. Not only does Retro 6.1 not understand and will not be able to restore these files, some users have reported that some of these files have been hosed simply in the process of being accessed by Retro 6.1 during a backup.

The word here is definitely to proceed with caution, limit your backup attempts to user data files only, and test your ability to restore these data files correctly. Under this configuration, I would attempt making your restores only to a new folder and not use the option to replace corresponding files.

You may have success under these limitations, but don't be surprised if you do not.

Thanks for your reply Tim.

I've already tried a few different backup configs, including the one you suggested, and have had no success. Thank goodness for Lion Restore!

I've given up trying it my way and have resorted to installing Retrospect 9 on the iMac. I just use remote management so I still have control over the backups.

Oh well. Lesson learned.

Thanks again for your help.

• 1 year later...

I'm using a Power Mac G4 running 10.4.11 and Retrospect 6.1.126 as a host for a 4 years old iMac running 10.4.11.

I bought a new iMac, (as the Power Mac "died"), I wanted to install the retrospect (6.1.126) on the old iMac, and backup the new iMac.

Would it work?

I'm using a Power Mac G4 running 10.4.11 and Retrospect 6.1.126 as a host for a 4 years old iMac running 10.4.11.

I bought a new iMac, (as the Power Mac "died"), I wanted to install the retrospect (6.1.126) on the old iMac, and backup the new iMac.

Would it work?

Based on mlnjr's testing above, I suspect not, but you may want to give it a try (you'll be in uncharted waters here). Try installing client version 6.3.029 on your new iMac and see if you can see its volumes on the backup computer (I'd also update your version of Retro 6 to the final version, 6.1.230). If you can access the files, don't even consider backing up anything other than document files.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

While the 6.3 client will probably be OK, Retro 6.1 is not a supported configuration for backups of Snow Leopard or Lion machines. While you may be able to back up text and similar data files, you should not make any attempt to back up any system or application files. Not only does Retro 6.1 not understand and will not be able to restore these files, some users have reported that some of these files have been hosed simply in the process of being accessed by Retro 6.1 during a backup.

www.tesking.biz